Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cornwall - Part 1 - Trevose Head, Godrevy

Cornwall is so much different place. It is hard to describe it really. I have spent in England so much time over the years and more or less know what to expect in different areas of UK, but visiting Cornwall was something completely different and new experience.

Trevose Head, Cornwall.
3 frames stitched together, 16mm, 15sec, f/11, ISO 100
I had few locations to visit around the most remote parts of west Cornwall, had few of my own plus Jeremy gave me few of his hints. Driving west from Dorset via Exeter the most logical first stop was Trevose Head with huge lighthouse. Few kilometers before reaching Trevose Head you pass Polventon Bay, and this was the first moment I saw huge Atlantic waves crashing on the beach. And to my surprise I met quite some surfers taking on those waves. Before I never even thought that people surf in England, especially in January.

Trevose Head, Cornwall
24mm,  30sec, f/8, ISO 200
The sound, smell, scenery of Atlantic are simple overwhelming, especially for someone landlocked. I stood still for some time and simply digested the atmosphere. Best option would be to leave all your gear behind and relax waiting for sunset, cloudy sunset. Noise of crashing waves was absolutely fantastic. I did not care about the wind, I loved the moment.

It was good evening, I had few minutes of sun (see last post) where I got literally 3 pictures with setting sun and then I took few panoramic shots of the area including lighthouse at night. Shot you see above was taken in darkness, not complete yet, but I had to expose for 30 seconds without any filteres. I have few more in larger resolution and way wider.

For next 3 nights I booked myself at Premier Inn hotel in Hayle, really good stuff and relatively cheap comparing local B&B prices. 60+ km from Trevose but all my next days' locations were within half an hour drive. Having seen sun after a week or so I had hopes for better weather for coming days. 

Godrevy, Cornwall
3 stitched frames @ 24mm, 30 sec, f/11, ISO 200, Big Stopper, 2 stops ND grad
Next morning though brought me back to reality, it started to drizzle. I think it is even worse than rain, those tiny drops of water sneak in everywhere. I went to Godrevy full of rocks and lighthouse built on offshore small island. The place is magnificent and sort of iconic at the same time. I have seen the picture in many magazines, and wanted to capture similar frame. Initially I planned to spend there 1-2 hours and merely to get to know the place. I ended up shooting there almost whole day. Once I got used to idea of rain, it simply stopped bothering me expect the problem of constant lens cleaning. You simple learn to live with it. Here is tighter shot of the Godrevy lighthouse, one you might have seen in some Cornwall brochures or photography magazines. I kept cold colours on purpose to emphasize cold temperature and roughness of the area and that morning.

Godrevy, Cornwall
50mm, 30 sec, f/11, ISO 200, Big Stopper, 2 stops ND grad
Water was going away, I was able to walk on rocks covered by ocean during early morning. Low tide revealed place like from different planet. When you look at the picture above... I am standing on a huge rock, washed by heavy waves during the morning. Few hours later I position myself around the base of the same rock and I got this surreal shot.

Godrevy, Cornwall
70mm, 60 sec, f/16, ISO 200, Big Stopper
Something completely different, not like earth almost. It is colour picture, Big Stopper's blue cast is adding this great mood to it, and I simply took it right out of the camer. If you look at the rock on the left, I shot lighthouse from that spot. 

Next picture I shot with 200mm to compress the distant rocks sticking out water, they were constantly washed by waves. Whole scene looks like pictures from mars, at least to me.

Godrevy, Cornwall
200mm, 60 sec, f/16, ISO 200, Big Stopper
Formations of rocks and stones with their patterns and textures were absolutely fantastic. You can easily spend days there especially during such great grey English weather.

Few more days to come, perhaps things will get better.



No comments:

Post a Comment